Saturday, August 30, 2008

Summer Vegetable Couscous

or How To Use Up All That Zucchini That You Are Sick Of

So, my camera sucks.

Until I learn how to take lovely pictures of food, I will have to resort to posting my mediocre pictures. I apologize in advance, but I am practicing and hopefully things will get better.

Now, on to my couscous.

We've gotten tomatoes, zucchini, and basil in every CSA box so far this summer, and here's a recipe I invented to use some of them up. It actually makes zucchini taste interesting. The measurements aren't exact, and really, if you don't have an ingredient, you can probably skip it (except, obviously, the couscous). Just use what you've got.

Ingredients

Zucchini - two small, or one large, diced
Tomatoes - any kind...1 big one, two small, a handful of cherry tomotoes, whatever
Couscous - I love the pearl kind (also called Israeli)... I used two cups
Broth and/or water - however much the package calls for, minus a little bit, like 1/4 cup since the vegetables give off a lot
Olive oil - 1 -2 tablespoons
Red pepper flakes - a tiny pinch or so
Pine nuts
Basil, other herbs, or a spoonful of pesto
Garlic - as much or as little as you like
Salt and pepper
Parmigian cheese


Directions

- Heat olive oil in a heavy pan. Add a pinch of red pepper flakes and the chopped garlic. Saute for a minute or two.

- Add the pine nuts and stir until they are lightly toasted.

- Add the diced zucchini and some salt and pepper. Saute for a few minutes until the zucchini starts to soften. Don't cook it too long or it will be soggy when the dish is finally done.

- Add the water or broth, and bring to a boil.

- When the water starts boiling, stir in the fresh chopped tomatoes and the herbs, then add the couscous.

- Cover the pot and cook according to the package's directions.

- When it's all cooked, stir in some parmigian cheese, and some extra basil, if you'd like.

And there you have it.

2 comments:

The Judge said...

That looks really yummy. I love pearl couscous. Sadly, some animal has been eating all of our zucchini plants this year. :(

Ms. Foodie said...

We have zucchini coming out of our eyes. Thanks for the idea!