Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Sundried Tomato-Pistachio Pesto


I think I may actually be getting a handle on this photo thing.






See what I mean? I'm not going to quit my day job, but I think this is an improvement.

So, on to the dish. We've gotten basil in every CSA box this summer and have made pesto a few times, but this time I wanted to try something different. Pesto is one of those things that is pretty hard to screw up, so I figured I could just throw some stuff in a food processor and cross my fingers.

Thankfully, my plan worked. So, here's my new spin on pesto.

Ingredients

* All measurements are approximate
2 cups of basil - I used leaves and stems. Jaime Oliver says stems are fine, and I trust him.
1/4 cup parmegian cheese
1/4 cup shelled pistachios (if they are salted, just be careful when you actually do add salt)
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes
1/3 cup of olive oil (or some of the oil from the sun dried tomatoes)
Salt and pepper to taste


Directions

- Toss the basil, parmesian, and half of the pistachios and sun dried tomatoes in to a food processer and pulse until coarsely chopped. (If you want very smooth pesto, add all the pistachios and sun dried tomatoes.)

- Slowly add the olive oil, salt and pepper, and the extra pistachios and sun dried tomatoes. You may need to stop the food processor to scrap down the sides once or twice.

- Puree until you have reached your desired consistency.




To serve, I tossed a few spoonfuls over some pasta, chopped fresh cherry tomatoes, and fresh mozzerella. Yum.




1 comment:

Ms. Foodie said...

Yeah! The photos look great! (see not that hard!)