Saturday, September 27, 2008

Rose Geranium Cookies

This week's CSA box contained lots of fun fall produce...sweet potatoes, chard, a pumpkin, and something called rose geranium. I assumed it was a flower, but it's actually a very floral smelling herb. Imagine a cross between rose and sage.
I wasn't sure what to do with it, but Google came through. I found a recipe for cookies that looked intriguing. It seems about 15 or 20 different sites print the same recipe, so I have no idea where it originated, so I'll just credit the internets for this one and hope the copyright police don't come after me.

The recipe says it makes 4 dozen, though I made my cookies much too big, so I wound up with only 24. That said, they are spongy and light and remind me more of a scone than a cookie. So, if that appeals to you, I suggest making them big.


Rose Geranium Cookies

Ingredients

1/2 c Butter (room temperature)
1 c Sugar
1 Egg
1/2 c Milk
1 ts Rosewater
2 ts Rose geranium leaves finely chopped
2 1/2 c Flour
1 1/2 ts Baking powder
4 Dozen small rose geranium leaves for garnish

I've never used rosewater before, but for whatever reason, my grocery store had it in the liquor section next to the grenadine. So, if you can't find it, maybe check a liquor store. I think it's common in Middle Eastern cooking, so a specialty store would probably carry it as well.



Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in egg milk and rose water.



Sift together dry ingredients and add them together with the chopped leaves to the creamed mixture stirring until well mixed.



Drop heaping teaspoons onto lightly greased cookie sheet and press a single rose geranium leaf deep into each cookie.



Bake for eight to ten minutes. They didn't look as pretty as I had hoped, but they taste wonderful. Lightly sweet and very floral. And, they make your kitchen smell like roses.


4 comments:

Ms. Foodie said...

Yes! I have been looking for something to do with my geraniums instead of just sitting in a vase on my coffee table. I must say, Eatwell outdid themselves this week.

Leslie I. said...

These look really good! Send some to DC! :)

The Good Wife said...

How interesting! Glad they turned out well.

Anonymous said...

These look great! Rose water is also used in Indian food, so you can likely find it Indian shops, too.